Friday, September 12, 2008

Beautiful Farmland

Driving in Indiana.













I can't even begin to describe how beautiful driving through Indiana and Illinois was. The sky and clouds were just perfect. The cornfields surrounded the road and I felt swallowed by the landscape as I drove.

I've met so many good people and feel like I'm acquiring a database of stories as I go. On Wednesday I stopped in Ottawa, IL. It's where Lincoln gave his first public debate. I walked the town square where 10,000 people came to listen. I tried to imagine what that would have felt like and how all those people could hear Lincoln talk without modern amplifiers.

I pulled out of my parking space and immediately heard a horrible sound. I pulled over expecting to see my muffler dragging on the ground. But I saw nothing. I ended up at Conroy's auto shop in a mile away. If anyone ever needs car service near Ottawa, IL this is the place. Three guys looked over my brakes for 45 mins. They had just decided it was something they couldn't fix when they figured out the problem. I was missing a bolt that holds the brakes to the wheel. It's an important bolt! They were awesome and didn't seem to mind me hanging around. I love learning about this car. In the end, they spent an hour working and only charged me $35. Wow!

I entered NE yesterday. I'm headed to see the Pompei of NE. Can't wait to see all the buried prehistoric animals. There's camels and rhinos! I was told it's must see by some older NE guys I met camping last night. They were kind enough to share their fire with me.

This was on the window of a small beat house with a for sale sign on the lawn. It says "Dee's International Massage, Take a one hour vacation with us." I wonder if I can still get an hour vacation with them?

1 comment:

Jen said...

That's one sketchy ass massage parlor!