Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Appalachian Trail Rocks














I've departed early from the Appalachian Trail. The Appalachian Trail isn't for dogs, at least not my dog. Silvi is an awesome companion but she isn't built for rock climbing. The rocks cut her paws. I was afraid her feet would get worse and she wouldn't be able to walk. Silvi will be fine she just needs to rest up and not climb any boulders for a few days. By the time we get to Montana or where ever we land next she'll be good as new.

The A.T. was amazing! Climbing the hills and rocks was hard but getting to the top was unbelievable. The mountain I climbed was tiny compared to the mountains out there in the world. I never understood why people would risk everything to climb big mountains. Getting a small taste even though it was a tiny morsel made me understand. I hate the cold but Everest must be something else.

I saw breathtaking views in Mexico and El Salvador but was driven up the mountains. It's an entirely different feeling climbing up yourself and feeling the rocks under your hands as you figure out how to get to the top without breaking a leg. There were times when I had to literally pick up Silvi and help her up or down the rocks. Thank god she's super motivated and has an iron will or I'd be sitting up on some rock trying to figure out what to do.

I was glad to find out that wasn't scared at all at night. I learned more in the last few days than I could have reading or talking to people. I want to do the entire Appalachian trail one of these summers. It will be without a dog. The trail was really dry. It was 10 miles between springs and some of those were dry. Carrying water and food for a dog and all my stuff was a lot. Everything was worth it and I'm thrilled I got to start my trip on such a historic trail.

Is this really the trail! This isn't a trail. Where the hell is the white trail marker?

2 comments:

Jen said...

Poor Silvi :(

Mike said...

I just hiked the same section of the AT back in April (Wind Gap to 309). One of the roughest sections of the entire AT, I've heard. More of a boulder crawl than a trail, but an incredibly scenic hike. I couldn't imagine getting Silvi across some of those sections. You're a trooper!