Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Flagstaff, AZ











































The above picture is Dara Thai. This restaurant would be perfectly at home in West Philly!

Flagstaff is an interesting city. There is an Amtrack station and the historic route 66 cuts through the town. There are hostels and cheap motels on the cooler or some might say seedier part of town. Ironically the city is split by the train tracks.

Walking around I saw quite a few guys with big packs that were riding the trains across the country. I got excited because I thought I would get a chance to talk with people that were riding box cars but the travelers I met were traveling by Amtrack. Not as dangerous and hard core a method of travel as the boxcars but still interesting.

The classier part of town has lots of cool art, hiking, and boutique stores. There are a couple of old hotels that are really cool. I went into Monte Vista on Sunday night. There’s a bar on the first floor and most of the rooms are named after movie stars that have stayed there.

My friend showed my around Flagstaff on Sunday night. Getting to see a town or area with a local is wonderful. It adds a depth to where ever I'm visiting and is always a treat.

No comments: