Thursday, October 9, 2008

Canyon Diving









































































I took this picture after swimming to the next rock on the Narrows hike in Zion. The Narrows was the best hike I've done. Although I found out the official term is Canyoneering. I didn't expect to actually go swimming but the water was higher than I expected and I just went for it. I climbed up the boulder on the other side of the deep water and waited for the guys to take the plunge.

I have to admit I was a little cold after my swim in 57 degree water! I wasn't too smart about my swim. I had to quickly try and save my camera and I didn't have a spare shirt. I saved the camera and was lucky enough to borrow someone else's spare shirt for the rest of the hike. But it was fun!

It's a mile walk to the river in a large canyon. As the canyon gets tighter and tighter you start hiking through the river. The large canyon turns into narrow slot canyons. It was cold in the morning especially since there's not much sun a few miles into the canyon.

I pasted a hiker in the Narrows who said "This sure beats working doesn't it!" I totally agree!

It's almost the opposite feeling as being on top of a mountain. The rocks tower above you and the river is spectacular. The area around Zion is unique because water flows through the rocks. This creates hanging gardens. At times it feels almost tropical along the Narrows hike. But it's in the desert of Utah, so cool! There are ferns and other plants growing stories above your head as you walk through the canyon. The tops of the enormous rocks are red and the sky is the most amazing blue you've ever seen. It's something I will never forget.









1 comment:

Zoop said...

hey,
bran just came back from st. george, utah, where he ran a marathon. i wasn't able to go with him this year, but last year, i went, and we hiked zion. it was amazing!! we didn't swim in any pools, but i'm hoping to go back and do that one day.
it's so awesome there -- glad that you are experiencing it!! you are making me very jealous :)