Friday, August 29, 2008

Vegetable Oil Runs a Car!

Today I filled my car up at a Japanese restaurant, so cool! The conversion is finished and operational. I just put my filter in a 5 gallon jug and poured the oil into the jug. I walked over to my car and filled my tank. This is actually going to work as I go cross country. I wasn't sure how I would make it work as I traveled until today. I have over 100 miles logged running completely on vegetable oil.

I went into the restaurant and asked if I could take their used oil. As I was taking the oil out of their big barrels everyone who worked at the restaurant keep coming out back to look at me. It was really funny. I just keep smiling with my greasy hands as I worked. I tried to explain but I don't know if they understood what I was telling them. It was very entertaining for everyone, myself included.

Here's a link to Wikipedia's Veggie oil page for anyone who's interested. I bought my kit from grease car.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_oil_used_as_fuel

Ideally I'd give the oil a couple of days to settle before filtering and using it as fuel. Whenever possible I will do this on the road. I may be shortening my engine life slightly by just filtering and driving but diesels can run for 500,000(or so I've read) so I'm not too worried. It will be a grand experiment.

I want to give a big shout out and thank you to my friend who's a mechanic who did the conversion for me. I feel really good knowing someone did the work who's really interested in the system and actually cares if it works.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Ha! That's awesome! Will you keep the oil in the gallon jug in a certain place in the car? Is the lid secure enough?

My cousin has a friend who had a veggie run car, I don't know if she still has it, but I always thought it was really cool.

Rock n roll, Meg!

+Jen

Marguerite said...

Hi Jen,
My plan is to filter enough oil to fill the tank and then keep my jugs filled in the truck. I have 2 3 gallon jugs and 1 5 gallon jug. I'm hoping the lid is as secure as it seems!

I hear oil is hard to clean.

You're the best.