Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Great Ebay Story


My car is sold! Yeah! I was starting to get nervous. I needed to sell my VW to fund my trip. Plus I'm leaving this week. I've pushed back my leaving date to Saturday, the last day I have my apartment. Leaving and preparing for this trip has been a great experience.

I sold my car through ebay but not on ebay. A Russian man called me a couple of days a go to come look at the car. He said he was from Brooklyn and wanted a car to ship to Russia. He came that night and gave me a cash deposit. He looked at the car for about an hour while talking to someone in Russia the whole time. The one problem, he wanted me to drive the car after he officially bought it to a port in Jersey. He would then drive me back to Philly. I agreed, for a price.

Well, everyone and I mean everyone I spoke to thought I was nuts to let some strange guy that was shipping a car to Russia drive me back to Philly. I thought he was a little different but all he talked about was his kid and wife. Plus my first impression of him was good. I was afraid he was going to arrive in a bad suit or any kind of suit. But he just looked like a NYC rocker guy.

In the end I let my Dad come and take me back to Philly. Thanks Dad for taking your whole night out to help me sell my car.

The guy had told me he was musician when he first came to look at the car. I'm a huge music lover so after he bought the car I asked him about it. Guess what? Sasha Kazachkov an original member of Gogol Bordello bought my car. He told me in was in a band that's now quite famous but he had quit. Too much Rock and Roll for him.

As I spoke to him and he told me about the band he was in and how they played with Madonna I wasn't really sure who they were. I came home and immediately got on the web. I had read about these guys but never knew how the hell the name was pronounced. Sasha's the guy on the left of the picture in the black suit without the hat.

3 comments:

Jen and Mike said...

Meg! That is kick ass! Gogol Bordello are awesome! I saw them this past winter with my friend Leech at the electric factory. Haha! It's so weird I read you blog today, cause I noticed I had a gogol pin on my sweatshirt earlier.

Bizarre...

I'll be reading this constantly! Have as much fun as you can!!!

+Jen

Garrett said...

O.K. Meg. Some dogs are waiting to see you in NYC -- don't want no ETA, just call when you hit the East Village

Smokey Joe Wood said...

Gogol Bordello are really fun, I want to see them live. It's pretty great to think your VW is living in Russia now, but mostly I'm glad you finally moved the car before your trip.b Happy hiking, can't wait to read about it!