Sunday, December 21, 2008

Adventures in AmeriCorps




Mt. Adams


I'm now officially employed. I will be re-entering the job force on Feb. 23rd as team leader with Northwest Service Academy. I applied for quite a few jobs through AmeriCorps and was lucky enough to get my first choice! I'm excited, nervous and happy all at once.

I will be based out of Mt. Adams, Washington about 1 and half from Portland, Oregon. I'll working to help maintain trails in Washington, Oregon and California. Basically, I'll be getting paid to hike, camp and travel. I know it will be lots of hard work and an experience unlike any I've ever had. I can't wait to learn how to use a huge chainsaw!

Since I started my journey on August 30th, 2008 I've met a few people that have hiked the Pacific Crest Trail. The P.C.T. is one of the most beautiful trails in the U.S.A. It starts in southern California and ends in northern Washington. I loved this program because I will train for 6 weeks on the P.C.T. in southern California. I may even get to work on the P.C.T. in different locations.

I wonder what life is going to be like in 2 or 3 months? I've yet to make it up to Washington or Oregon. It will be fun to explore new places while helping make the forests better for everyone's enjoyment.

No comments: